NSVs... The Spa Edition

Hi girls,

So working in a spa definitely has it's advantages. I have massages and facials and get my nails done pretty often, I get my eyebrows fixed for free once a week, etc. Before you hate me, remember that I work every single holiday imaginable, every weekend, etc. So this morning, to combat all the bloat before work, I booked myself a Herbal Fusion Wrap and a 25-minute massage. I've been waking up every morning with like back and ab pain from feeling so bloated, not unlike the post-op feeling, and I hoped this would help. It really did, and it also provided me with some NSVs...

1) I can wear a normal sized robe, no problem! For a while I couldn't get the normal one to even cover me up, then I could but the large sized one felt a bit more comfortable... Now the regular one is completely fine.
2) I can sit up/roll over/shimmy up and down completely easily on the massage table, no worries about flailing/falling/flashing.
3) I take up so much less space on the table, from left to right. My arms rest by my sides with plenty of room to spare. I used to find lying on my front really awkward on the massage table, and hard on my chest, now it's not!


I also wanna take this time to emphasize the value of pampering yourself and non-food based rewards like spa visits. Also, if anyone is ever nervous about getting on a massage table because of your size, DON'T BE. I wondered aloud about that once to one of best friends here, Shana, a massage therapist. I wondered if she minded working on fat people. She said not at all - first of all, they're such professionals, they see so many bodies in so many shapes and sizes. Also, she's told me that it's a lot easier for the therapist to work on a larger than average person than a smaller than average one - we're not all bony and unmuscly and hard to work on!

I truly feel like massage, especially when performed regularly, is an amazing way to connect to and appreciate and love our bodies. So if you can, find a great therapist, whether at a clinic or at a spa, and reward yourself for your victories, whether on or off the scale!

xox

2 comments:

jennyr1222 said...

Love this post Angie! I'm a huge believer in massage and always have that uncomfortable feeling when my arms didn't quite fit on the table with me. I always have to tuck my hands underneath me so that they don't fall off. Thanks so much for your comments on my posts btw!! I'm feeling a bit better today. Still alot of chest pain (think that is mainly gas and the hernia), but feeling so happy that I'm banded!! xoxo,
Jen

Angie said...

Jenny - you should know that the therapist will always wanna make you feel more comfortable... One way to do that is to put a stool under your face cradle so that you can have your arms forward and rest them there- it's a comfortable position for lots of people, whether big or just busty!

This is me now... at 160!

This is me now... at 160!
with my bestest friend!
There was an error in this gadget

Mini-Goals and Statistics

A Quick Reference - 111lbs down
Height: 5'8
Highest Weight; January 2009: 270
Surgery Weigh; March 4th: 255
Tummy Tuck December 15, 2010!
Current Weight: 150s
Current BMI: healthy!

Mini Goal 1: 240 - re-reached April 29th - 15lbs/9 weeks.
Mini Goal 2: 230 - reached June 12th. - 10lbs/6 weeks.
Mini Goal 3: 220 - reached July 18th. - 10lbs/5 weeks.
Mini Goal 4: 210 - reached September 2nd. 10lbs/7 weeks.
Mini Goal 5: 199 - reached October 19, 10lbs/11 weeks
Mini Goal 6: 189 - reached December 18, 10lbs/9 weeks
Mini Goal 7: 179 - reached February 23, 10lbs/9.5weeks
Mini Goal 8: 169 - reached March 26, 10lbs/4.5weeks
100 lbs down!!

Blog Archive

My Lovely Followers